Year 9 Options 2021
Please note, the options form will now be open from March 26th to allow scholars more time to make an informed decision.
It is the time in the academic year where scholars need to make choices about their GCSE options. This is an important decision and the link to the booklet below, has all the information about the subjects available and will be a good opportunity to discuss with your child what they would like to study in their options.
It is most important that scholars have a realistic view of their strengths and weaknesses. They must carefully consider the subjects where they have been most successful; where their skills are apparent and their performance is consistent; and ask themselves: ‘Does the course suit the way I like to learn?’
Decisions should not however be influenced by whether a subject is taught by a particular teacher, as this is not an appropriate approach to making choices that affect their future. Similarly, they should not choose a subject just because their friends have – it is important that they make up their own mind.
Advice and Support
To help scholars make these decisions, please see the Options booklet below, along with the videos on this page, explaining the subjects in detail.
Due to the current coronavirus situation, we are unable to offer an Options Evening as we would normally do.
During online lessons, scholars will be given advice and reminded of the things they must do and when to submit their Options Form.
We are having a parents’ evening on 4th March 2021 - details of which will come out to you after the half term holiday. We are offering a videocall evening to provide support and an opportunity to ask questions.
Below is a review and the timeline of events to support planning and discussions.
4th March 2021
|- Parents' evening to discuss possible option choices and progress.|
26th March 2021
- Any questions emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or ask your subject teacher.
- Options Form is open for accepting responses (link posted nearer the time)
|- Last date for Options forms to be returned, using the Office Forms link, or QR code on this page and in the booklet.|
|End of May 2021||- Options choices to be confirmed to scholars in writing.|
Please see the attached booklet with all the information you need.
Making your Option choices
Please click on the Options Form link below, or scan the QR Code.
You can only submit your responses from the 26th March. Outside of these times, the form will not work.
- You do not have to select English, Maths or Science as these are the core subjects and everyone studies these for GCSE.
- At the top of the options form you are asked to say which of the compulsory Option X subjects is your first choice: Geography or History.
- You then have to choose which subjects you would like to study in the free choice option blocks (Option Y and Option Z). After careful consideration and discussion, you have to make 3 priority choices from Option Y, and 3 priority choices from Option Z, no more and no less. You will not be able to submit the electronic form until all choices are made.
- We will then allocate scholars to one of their choices in each option block X, Y and Z. Please note that if not enough scholars select a subject it may not be able to be offered and we may have to remove it from the timetable.
Please check that:
- Scholar’s full name is correctly entered at questions 1 and 2
- Parent/carer has checked choices and noted their agreement at question No 11